Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

A precious baby girl...

A friend of mine has just had a sweet baby girl, so I wanted to make something special for little Pipa. 
It wasn't too hard to decide on the collection to use - Little Yellow Bicycle's "Tiny Princess" collection is insanely gorgeous, and I've been busting to use it on a project. 
The best bit about Little Yellow Bicycle is that they put out a HUGE range of embellishments to go with each paper collection, so you're really spoiled for choice.  And each pack has a good selection of embellishments in itself, so they work out to be really cost effective. 
I had bought the set of Kaisercraft fairytale castle drawers a while ago, and not gotten around to putting them together, so this seemed like a perfect opportunity.  I also wanted to do a sign with little Pipa's name on it, so after a quick search through my stash came up with this "welcome home" plaque from Kaisercraft. 
To begin with, as with all off the page projects, I sanded the edges down lightly, and then painted  all the necessary pieces with a few coats of lavender paint. 
Once that was dry, I decided what papers I wanted to use and where - With a little careful planning, BTP's can be quite economical on papers.  I chose to use the Pink Princess Dreams/Pink Geometric for the base of the sign, accenting the curved area with Sweetest Stripe/Tiny Green Stripes.  
For the drawers, I chose to use the same two papers again, as well as Numbers/Tiny Purple Stripes.
I like to use Helmar Professional glue, as it dries quickly, and dries clear.  I'm an impatient scrapper, so I like things that stick quick :)
When I'm adhering paper to off the page pieces, I squirt glue all over it in a squiggle, then, using my finger, spread it to the edges, and all over the piece in a thin layer.  I then press the paper down over the top, and smooth it out with my hands.  Once it's dry, I trim away the excess using a stanley knife (or craft knife if you prefer).  Once everything is covered, it's a matter of gluing it all together!  
For the drawers, I reinforced the corners with a piece of scrap, then covered the whole thing in patterned paper.
To finish the set of drawers, I added some of the chipboard stickers, and a metal "Princess" embellishment I discovered while pawing through my craft drawer :)  
I also finished all the edges with a little bit of kindyglitz (in Crystallina).... (ok... maybe a lot of kindyglitz... )


Then... onto the name plaque.  
I'd already painted the edges before, so this was nice and quick to put together.  I trimmed the pink geometric paper to size, making sure I was able to match up the pattern across the join.  (because I'm a bit strange like that!)
I then creased the tiny stripe paper over the curved part of the sign, and freehanded a smaller curve inside that.  I trimmed that out, and adjusted it where it was necessary to get the "right" distance all the way around.  
I glued on the letters that I had painted purple, and then arranged some of the chipboard stickers around her name.  (I chose the little purple dragon, because she's got a big brother who will probably kinda like that his sister will have a dragon in her pretty little room :) )
I used some of the scraps to hand cut a stack of butterflies, which I then layered and tied together with some purple and white twinery twine, knotting at the head, and using the tails as the antennae.  These butterflies are a great way to use up some scraps, and have a thrifty, handmade embellishment that matches your layout perfectly.  
Once I was happy with all that, I applied a thick layer of glossy accents to the letters, and allowed it to dry.  
What do you think? Perfect for a princess? 
Happy Scrappin'
Rita

No comments: